Sunday, August 10, 2008

Done with singles wards!! ... at least for now

Every sunday I become hopeful for the 2PM sacrament meeting as my family goes to the 9AM family ward.  I know what to expect at the family ward, every once and a while it'll be go a little weird, but for the most part I end of being with people I like and learning more.

Not so much for the singles ward.

Every sunday it's a struggle for me as I hope to go and get something out of it.  At first I was a little hesitant to be going to church with everyone from high school, I just wasn't that into it.  Then I realized that it's actually cool.  But there's a downside... 

1. The talks that don't mean a thing.  Don't get me wrong, we're not here to be judgmental.  But 9 out of 10 meetings I go to, I really hope there's not an investigator there.  I can just imagine what they're thinking, 
"Yeah, I went to the Mormon church once, and it was like I was in an english class- they kept telling me how to say things and how it was grammatically incorrect."

2. Is it wrong that I feel like I would be benefit more for going out into the courtyard and reading my scriptures for 45 minutes once a month? ...
"So, they call it their '15 minutes of fame' meeting... I guess they do it once a month.  You cry, tell stories, sometimes it's like a confession, and everyone stares at you... feeling awkward.  I guess it's cool... if you're into that."

3. No wonder people confuse us with the FLDS.  We only do it to ourselves.
"There was this meeting with a whole bunch of girls and they kept on talking about marriage and how one day everyone will be good enough for it.  Um, I'm like, 13."

For the most part, I think people have the right intentions, have a good heart and really don't intend to send off a message that for the most part, they send out.  

Everyone knows its awkward and so they continue to act awkward, and there comes a point when you can only ask and answer these questions so many times, 
"Where ya from? Whats your major?  Where do you work? Wanttogoonadategetmarriedandhavebabies?"  
"I'm sorry, what was the last thing you said?" 
"Oh, sorry for the mumbling, do you like sushi?"

PEACE OUT SINGLES WARD.

3 comments:

  1. haha, THAT is exactly how the singles ward was that I went to out here in DC; coupled with people that thought they were "too cool for school" b/c they made the move from Utah/Idaho to The Big City.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Singles wards are terrible, but a necessary evil...maybe- but since you're going on a mission anyhow it really doesn't matter.

    University wards are way better.

    ReplyDelete