Thursday, October 14, 2010

Missin the Mission



It's been over 2 months since I've been back, and trying to get my life adjusted to being an "RM" rather than putting on my name tag every morning. I LOVE being back in the states, I love having my freedom to what I may, I love being able to catch up with friends, stay up late, sleep in, go to football games, and especially talk instantly with my family when I want to, rather than having to write what I want to tell them down and wait a week to email them.
I mean, my awesome older sister even surprised me with an afternoon of working out with Richard Simmons with my other sister and a couple of friends in Beverly Hills... I LOVE BEING HOME.
But oh how do I miss it. I miss every wonderful thing about those Paraguayans. I miss teaching them American traditions, like egg coloring on Easter, cake and ice cream on birthdays, roasting marshmallows and making s'mores (one of the coolest things I taught a Paraguayan).

Let's just say when people start doing mission talk, I couldn't feel more comfortable. It's my area. It's what I know. I know how to serve a mission, I know how it all goes, I love mission conversations... because I feel so comfortable in them.
I can be pretty awkward... I can be pretty shy if I don't know you too well (especially if you're between the ages of 19-29 because of the whole social thing... so not quite there yet!). If you know me, you know I'm not shy at all, and I'm pretty darn hilarious (I laugh at myself even when no one else does...) (ok so maybe I just think I'm pretty hilarious). But I can be quiet if I don't feel comfortable enough to say something, but man, you get on the topic of the mission, and I'll just talk with you about it.
I'm not one of those you can say, "Hey! Tell me a mission story!" too, and on the spot I'll tell you one of the craziest things you've ever heard. I'm not out to throw the "my horse is bigger than your horse" mission stories. I love hearing about other missions and what they did and how interesting the contrast is between missions around the world.
Right now this is just my area of comfort... it's a weird world for an RM. We get made fun of a lot... because it's true. Just humor us when we talk about the mission, once it gets like 8 months to a year down the line... then I say it's pushing it and I should be better with my conversation skills other than just talking about my mission. But just for now... humor me and my weirdness! I'm embracing it!!

3 comments:

  1. Good...just own it. It is so much nicer than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kelsey I miss you! You need to visit Oregon you should bring Meredith!!! It could be fun we have couches to sleep on, and maybe we will have a sleep over and make my husband sleep on the couch!!! That is a great idea !!! Come visit soon???

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. I loved it. I looked at each picture so carefully. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete