Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Lady Gaga sings about "Snakes"

If you've ever been to South America, and have been walking down the street and have been "snaked" by the men sitting on their front porch drinking beer, working in the fields, or hanging out with their girlfriend, when you listen to this song by Lady Gaga, "Alejandro" you'll just bust out laughing, as I did.  I never really listened to the lyrics until today when it was on the radio, and it brought me back memories while tracting in Paraguay.

When my companions and I got "snaked", (i.e. tssssss tsssssssss hola mi amorrrrr bebe..... dame un beso... tsss tsssssss princesa, mi AMOR, mi vida, ayyyyyy que linda, que hermosa, tu piel, tus OJOS!!!!) (I swear they could see my "ojos" from a mile away (ojos = eyes). *

I'll spare you the video- since I've never seen but did read if it was appropriate or not (NOT- by the way, so I didn't watch it.  You can't trust Lady Gaga's videos) here's how some of the lyrics go:

I know that we are young
And I know that you may love me

But I just can't be with you like this anymore
Alejandro


She's got both hands
In her pocket
And she won't look at you
She hides true love (we truly did love them, we even invited them to church)
En su bolsillo (pamphlets about the word of wisdom)
She's got a halo around her finger (missionaries are referred to as angels)
Around you

You know that I love you boy (I would offer my  hand in marriage if they showed up to church, I would laugh hysterically as I saw their face move from smiles to horror)
Hot like Mexico (or Paraguay- I bet its a billion times hotter down there)
Rejoice
At this point I've gotta choose
Nothing to lose (No one showed up to church even after I offered my companions' hand in marriage- which was a bit of a relief to them after me trying to sell their hand)

Don't call my name (Elders! Elders! People called us Elders all the time.)
Don't call my name (Hermannnnnnnnaaaaaaasssss)
Alejandro (or Pedro, Gustavo, Enrique, Carlos, whichever one you have)
I'm not your babe
I'm not your babe
Fernando
Don't wanna kiss (you're teeth rotting or not having any teeth at all saves me from that temptation)
Don't wanna touch (thankfully there's rules against that!)
Don't call my name
Don't call my name (No, I will not come back to Paraguay to marry you.  Or any other Paraguayan for that matter!)
Roberto

*Disclaimer: Women get a lot more of this than men do, though, men do receive it, women get it on an hourly basis.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kelsy. I am so glad you are blogging regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sums up contacting very well. Especially b/c that horrible song was always being played in the streets too! Yes, I'm still glad the snakes didn't go to church so I wouldn't have to marry them ;)

    ReplyDelete