Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Anxiously Engaged

...and waiting.  Waiting to hear back from a school I applied to, a summer job I applied for.  They said 4-6 weeks.  Tomorrow makes 6 weeks.  The anticipation is agonizing!  I've never been good with patience.

The biggest problem is that all my plans depend on these two things.  Whether or not I move to Salt Lake at the beginning or the end of the summer, whether or not I'll be going to school in the fall.  I feel like I'm always waiting for something to get done.  The only thing I can do while I wait is my homework, work and my calling... not necessarily in that order.

Then once that happens, the decision.  I've made a decision once in my life of what I wanted to be when I grew up, a chef.  I decided that in high school, only to realize that the lifestyle of a chef wasn't for me and I became a culinary school drop-out (start singing to Grease's beauty school drop out song here.)  The lifestyle of a chef is demanding, nights, weekends, holidays... all time to be with the family, and I wasn't willing to sacrifice it.

So, here I am, after putting off the big "decision" for more than 18 months.... I have to chose a path.  I feel like I want to still be everything when I grow up, and not just a little... I like to shoot high.  Like, if I could stand the sight of blood and needles, I wouldn't just be a nurse, I'd be a doctor.  Or not just a hygenist, a dentist.  Even then, not just a dentist, an indodontist (yes, they exist... google it).  Not a stewardess, but a pilot... catch my drift?

But I have to be realistic, what are some of the things I've always wanted to do other than cooking?  The Olympics, I've always wanted to work with the Olympics and get to go to them every two years.  I don't know what I'd have to do... but I best be figuring it out soon.

Then again, PE teachers do have a fantastic schedule. They get done at 3PM, have no homework to grade, nights, weekends, and holidays are off.  Summers as well.  What a great job.

I wonder if I can still make it as a pro-skiier.

Then there's the program I choose... if it has any requirements of taking any further advance math class than what I'm taking now... I'm going to be in trouble.

Patiently waiting... waiting... waiting..........

1 comment:

  1. The olympic training center is practically in our back yard (only about 15 minutes away). You should work there and spend FHE with us!

    Why can't a chef life fit you? You are so awesome - you make it what you want it to be. I have a friend who is a very successful chef - she even had a talk show on NPR years back. She was always there for her kids. You could do that if you still want. Think out of the box honey.

    Good luck on your hopeful job!

    ReplyDelete