Saturday, May 28, 2011

Being Remembered

It's memorial day weekend and I'm in good old Carlsbad for a break!  It's been so much fun to be here, I absolutely love coming home.  Tonight my parents and I went out to eat at IN-N-OUT, the store I had worked at all through high school (2 years).  It was my first job, and the best job I've ever had.

While there, I realized that it had been 5 years to the month that I had left my job at IN-N-OUT.  I couldn't believe it, I started thinking back to memories of when I had worked there and how I still remembered how to do everything.  I saw my store manager while in line, but he was busy so I didn't say anything.  Plus, it had been 5 years, so I wasn't sure if he'd remember me.

But I was totally his favorite associate, so he totally did.

When leaving I went up to the counter to say my farewell to my manager and this guy that was there when I had worked there, was still working there, he came up to me and said hi.  I didn't think that he'd remember me at all, but he knew my name and I didn't even have a name-tag on!  I was totally caught off guard because I really didn't think he'd remember me, but he did.  And it made me feel great.

I've been reading How to Win Friends and Influence people for the bajillionth time now, and a principle in the book is very true.  Peoples' first name is the single most important sounding word in the human vocabulary to that person.  And being remembered is key in making an influence on people.  I don't think Scott realized how good he made me feel when he came over (he was obviously busy wrapping burgers and it's not the burger wrappers job to greet the people at the counter, someone else could have) and said hi to me, remembering my name and asking what I've been up to.  After 5 years.  That meant a lot to me.

1 comment:

  1. I remember you too. Most of the time. You should drop by my house unexpectedly ans see if I know who you are!

    ReplyDelete