Monday, May 23, 2011

Isn't it ironic?

I've had a goal for quite some time to donate plasma.  It's hard enough as it is for me to donate blood (we're a bunch of queezies in my family when it comes to that kind of stuff).  But, I've always wanted to donate plasma... and get over my fear of how painful it might be, what complications I might have, and all to help someone else in need (and making a few bucks while doing it doesn't hurt).

So, today was the perfect day.  I didn't have to work, didn't have school, I had a free day.  What better time to get over my fear?  I made an appointment, went to the plasma center in Salt Lake, and got a screening to donate plasma.  Throughout the whole waiting, and screening process, I kept saying prayers that everything would be ok, that I would remain calm, and it would be a successful donation.  

I'm on three different kinds of acne medication, two creams and one pill.  They're called Tazorac, Duac and Minocycline.  They're not crazy intense like acutane- but they do the job.  One of the employees there didn't recognize one of them, and had to google it during my screening.  After the entire screening process (you know, the prick of the finger that everyone says is the worst part (piece of cake) and then the whole, you know, urine sample and everything... having to go to the urine donation bathroom and clean up all the dried urine on the seat at first and then having issues myself of dropping the cup in the toilet.  Yeah, you wanted to hear that.  I had some complications...) they brought me into a nice business office, sat me down and looked up the medication in their file as it had a "permenant deferral" typed next to it.  Permenant... meaning... I can never give plasma because I currently and previously have taken the medication.  No matter how many years down the road I go without taking this cream for my face (weird... it's like lotion!) I can never donate plasma because I have taken this medication in my lifetime.  I guess I can no longer feel guilty for being scared to donate plasma!  I did my best in trying to get over my fear, right?  I did all I could, and there is honestly nothing I can do to be qualified to donate plasma.  

Isn't it ironic?  Like rain on a wedding day, a free ride when you already paid.  It's the good advice that you just didn't take...

And who would've thought?  It figures.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Too funny. The idea of donating plasma scares the daylights out of me. It just seems so....sketchy... Too bad you couldn't make a few bucks though.

    ReplyDelete