Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Provo Girls Rant

**Written March 23, 3008, when I lived in Provo**


So this rant was a lot longer, but I decided to just summarize it because it was too "ranty":

I am embarrassed to call myself a girl when I see girls throwing themselves at guys and saying and doing anything to get attention. Flattery is a cheap form of praise- it should never be accepted.

I am embarrassed to call myself a girl when I see most girls here to get married, rather than to really get an education and learn.  (Please do not misinterpret this as marriage not being important, it is highly important.  And so is education.)

I'm disgusted to call myself a girl when I'm sitting in sacrament meeting, a guy goes up to bear his testimony and mentions that he's in the accounting or law program and I notice the girls in front of me look at each other, smile, and make the money sign towards each other.

And I am disgusted with any girl who will do anything to make a guy happy; lower their standards, starve themselves, or bite their tongue when they disagree.

And I am disgusted with any guy that would disrespect a girl to make a girl feel any way of the sort.

I've been in Utah too long.

2 comments:

  1. I understand your point. But getting married is more important than getting an education for both men and woman. I don't find it that unusual for woman to have their priorities in order more than men.

    Most girls don't want to be scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to men by waiting till their 28 to get married to the LDS men left in the dating pool and competing with x2 the women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon: I agree whole-heartedly that getting married is important. But going to school, JUST to get married, is not what Gordon B. Hinckley had in mind when he said, "Be smart. You are all in school. Do not waste your time. This is a time of great opportunity that you will never have again as long as you live. Make the most of it right now. It is wonderfully challenging. It is hard, it is tough, isn’t it? But what a wonderful thing to go and learn of all the accumulated knowledge of all the centuries of time. Go on to college or whatever school, vocational school, whatever your choice is, but take advantage of every opportunity that you have because the Lord has laid upon you a mandate through revelation to the Prophet Joseph Smith concerning not only spiritual learning but secular learning. Yours is the responsibility, and you can’t afford to waste your time. There is so much to learn. Be smart. Give it the very best that you have."

    ReplyDelete