Friday, September 16, 2011

Don't complain about what you have the power to change.



Yesterday I was talking to a co-worker and he was bashing on BYU, and how only pricks go there.  He plays for the Utah football team, and 'has friends on the BYU football team' that hate it out there.  He was talking about why it's so horrible.  He asked me if I had ever been on "that side of town" to which I replied, "Yes, actually.  I lived there for 3 years."  (I asked if he had ever been there and he hadn't.)

He was kind of taken back, because he was talking all high and mighty on why his view on Provo  and BYU was right... because his friends go there, hate it, and only continue to go there because their families force them.  If they don't want to go to BYU so badly, tell them to stop living off of their parents financially, go get a job, and go somewhere they do want to go.

To that he replied, "Not if they've got scholarships."

Oh no.  BYU is supporting them being in school?  And they hate it?  Boo hoo!  Cry me a river.  The tuition at BYU is SO INCREDIBLY INEXPENSIVE and the education is rated high within the nation.  If they hate it, there are other schools in the nation.  Don't want to pay out-of-state tuition like the rest of us?  Stay in your state and go to a JC.  But don't sit there whine about how much you hate where you live and what school you go to and the people you attend with... and you're getting it all for free.  I could have super cheap tuition if I went to any of the BYU schools, but I know I'm happier being in Salt Lake.  And for that, I am paying 4x the tuition I would pay at any of the BYU schools.  But I'm happy!

I moved from Provo to Salt Lake and I am very happy.  Does that mean I hated my time in Provo?  Nope, I enjoyed it.  I have a ton of memories there and have met wonderful people.  I've had my fair share of rough times, but I'd like to remember the good times over the bad times.

You don't like something going on in your life?  Change it.  No one is forcing you to stay put.

He did state that polynesian families are all about respect, and all of his friends were polynesian.  And if they didn't attend BYU, their families would disown them.  He then asked me if my family would disown me if I didn't go there.

Do you think if my family would disown me, I'd be at the U?  Out of all the schools in the country, I decided to transfer to the ultimate rival school of my family blood.  And instead of disowning me, my family has embraced this new opportunity and journey as I am the first one to go outside of the "BYU" atmosphere.


No comments:

Post a Comment