Thursday, October 13, 2011

DON'T go to Nick's Auto Group in La Mesa, CA; DO get your work done by EL TIGRE in Salt Lake City

August, 2010
I buy a car that had a 30-day warranty and on day 31 everything decided to break.  Just one thing after another.  First, it was the radiator and water coolant.  I had to replace my entire radiator, heating core, AC unit, and water coolant, I was recently told I had to replace the entire back unit for tail lights bc of the wiring, my window stopped rolling up, my blinkers and hazard lights stopped working, and to top it off,

December, 2010
I finally cave because of the freezing cold, and replace the heating core.

January, 2011
I can be a typical girl. Not thinking about registration, I parked my car on a public street and was ticketed 2 times in one week for not having registered plates (I HATE university parking).  Nick's Auto Group in La Mesa, CA NEVER got my car registered.  My dad had to go down there and force them to do the registration by threatening to file a lawsuit for never getting their work done- even 8 months after the sale.  Their excuse was that their DMV person was sick...  for 8 months?

June, 2011
I replaced my AC unit because I was sweating from every pore.  Oh yeah... my engine light went on and I found out I had a big problem with my transmission.  One that out of 3 shops, no one knew the problem.  I was told to drive the car until it just... dies.  Then rebuild the transmission, a $2-3,000 cost for parts alone.

August, 2011
Blinkers and hazard lights quit working.

Goal before November 1, 2011
"What needs to get done so I can pass safety and emissions, get my car registered in Utah, so I don't have to pay out-of-state tuition?"  I had to get a new license, file for a duplicate title (because the the shady auto group I bought my car from never got me a title, either), wait for the title, and then be able to register my car.

September, 2011
Window stops rolling up.

October, 2011
But wait, oh that's right... things just keep going wrong with my car.  I got my blinker and hazard lights fixed, had the test, and I failed the safety and emissions because my emergency break didn't work, my tail light was out and my engine light went on.  Moral of the story of the year: Girl can't catch a break.

BEST PART OF THIS STORY: Today I was ready to tackle it all.  Get things done.  Get things fixed, approved and registered.  I woke up at 8, got myself packed before my trip to California and then drove to El Tigre's shop in Salt Lake (on the corner of Main & 900 S).  El tigre (that's what they call him, seriously) had assisted me a week ago when I failed the safety test with the lady that works in the same shop as him.  I started speaking to him in spanish and we instantly became friends.  He checked my car out for free and told me to come back so he could fix it- and he gave me a very reasonable price.  At first he said I looked like a millionaire so he was going to charger me a ton, but when I came back later I was in sweats and a sweatshirt and asked if I looked like a millionaire anymore, so he wouldn't charge me so much.  Today when I went, he not only did he find out that what I thought was wrong wasn't wrong, and that he just needed to tighten a few things.  I asked him to clear my computer so I could pass my emissions test and get the engine light off and I had told him that I always wanted to learn how to work on cars.  I had called him on his cell (he gave it to me!) and he came in earlier than anticipated just to help me out.  He started teaching me some things on the car, like the spark plugs, the oil filter, the transmission, etc.  He practically saved me because he checked the oil and I had been driving it practically just on gas.  He drove me to an auto store to buy oil (bc it was clean out of oil), we got oil and an oil filter and drove back to fill it up.  (I swear it's leaking somewhere, I JUST filled it up- promise!) He couldn't help but laugh at me that I was driving it without oil, mocking me saying in a girly voice, "Yeah I filled it up- in 2003."  He helped me clean my spark plugs and told me to watch my oil and if it's starts running out rather quickly then to come back and he'd show me how to put on an oil filter.  Best part?  For all of his help- getting there early, checking out my brakes, tightening, checking my transmission, clearing my computer, driving me to a local auto store to buy oil and filling it up... he only charged me $40.  That's it.  It was like we were long-time buddies and he was just so nice about everything.  But I didn't have cash so I drove back to my apartment in Holladay, got my debit, went to an ATM, (all in hopes that maybe I'd be able to make it to the DMV in Draper- I hear that's where the lines are shortest- to register my car before my flight) called the DMV and asked if there was a wait time (nope) found a closer DMV in hopes that it wouldn't take me too long and I could get it done before my trip, went to the DMV, was in, out, ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom, I had my registration, went back to pay el tigre in cash, drove to a new hotel where I parked my car out while being in California for a few days (they were the cheapest to park a car there at a daily rate than all the others around them), found out that I didn't have to pay them as long as I was a patron of some sort buy a purchase, was able to borrow a flat head (at which the concierge thought I was asking for a person, I had to explain to him what a flathead was), got my plates changed (sad day but was bound to happen) and managed to get a shuttle to the airport AN HOUR AND 20 MINUTES BEFORE MY FLIGHT.   AND I was one of the last ones on the flight and still managed to get the front row, aisle seat, while all the other seats open were middle seats AND I drank water from an aluminum can for the first time. Say whaaaat??

It couldn't have worked out more perfect.  I called southwest to see how much it would be to change my flight to a later time so I could get my car registered at the DMV before I left.  Because it cost more, I decided to not do that and race to the finish.  It was fun and the Lord was looking out for me.  Just when I think things couldn't get any rougher with my car and never work out- there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  I could not believe how perfectly everything worked out today!  And I'M ENDING IT IN SAN DIEGO!!!  What more could I ask for?! 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you made a friend. You should go make glowing recommendations for your friend (leaving out how little he carged you) and scathing critique for the dealership on google.

    I should have sold mom my Jeep instead of selling it to the government for 3500. Oh well, next time :)