Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Kicking my goal weight in the FACE!


Yo-yo dieter. That's me. I once went on a 3-month vegan diet for 6 days. Half way through this year, I had realized that no matter how I eat or exercise, nothing is changing unless I dedicate myself to it. Unless I really strive to make an effort and change, I'll remain the same. Anyone who knows me well knows that I've struggled with weight loss for a long time. Never managing to tackle it. I came close to my goal weight in 2008. I was 4 lbs away, and I honestly have no idea what happened. Two years ago I made a bet with my sister to get to my goal weight by a certain date or I had to attend BYU-Idaho. (And there was no way this girl was going to attend BYU-I.) Did I make it? No. Did I go to BYU-I? H-no. No matter how much I didn't want to go to BYU-I (and clearly wasn't going to even if I lost the bet). I didn't make my goal because others were expecting me to... rather than setting expectations and reporting to myself.

I've never made it. "One day..." is the horrible thought of procrastination that enters my mind all TOO often. One day? That one day is today. Because 2012 will always be remembered as the year I FINALLY kicked my goal weight in the face.

I've tried MANY diets, you name it, I've done it. But the science of losing weight is all-too simple for the average person to just accept. Diets are filled with too many empty and unrealistic promises. What's the secret formula, the one that every single diet entails but it's really just too simple to tell you?

BURN MORE CALORIES THAN YOU TAKE IN.

It's that simple.

I got the "Lose It" app and recorded what I ate, EVERY. DAY. I chose the "Lose It" app because it had this awesome feature where I could just scan the barcode of a food and it would automatically enter in the calories of what I'm about to eat. I recorded my eating habits for 2 weeks alone, and was beyond surprised at the result. I ate from 1800-2000 calories a day. Somedays including exercise, some not. But I realized that I remained the same because...


If the calories you consume equates to the amount of calories you burn in a day, you are maintaining your weight. This is perfect if you've reached your weight loss goal. Not so perfect if you're trying to lose weight.

My diet plan suggested that I consume 1,208 calories a day to lose 2 lbs per week and reach my goal weight by a certain date. I didn't realize how much food I would be cutting out of my diet (hello, coming from 1800-2000 calories a day?!), and I had to get used to it. I wasn't starving myself, but I definitely had to adjust to this new amount of calories that I was going to be taking in... PERMANENTLY. Losing weight isn't a temporary option. You shouldn't just lose it, you should get rid of it. Forever. Gone. Never coming back. And in order for that to happen, the calorie intake vs calorie burn is crucial in maintaining the weight you want.

It's NOT EASY. I was light-headed for the first month, and still do get lightheaded sometimes. Somedays I want to just give up and give in, and throw all my hard work away. Those days happen, and I had to learn to forgive myself and move on the VERY NEXT DAY, not waiting until Monday to start a clean slate. That's not how a lifestyle is changed.

I hate counting calories. This was me. Stubborn calorie-hater. I realized that in order for things to work out in life, I need to make sacrifices and adjustments. Why would I expect my body to change if I wasn't willing to make any lifestyle changes myself? Question: Do you like counting points? Because counting points is really just another way of counting calories. Don't like calories or points, then yeah, maybe those pre-packaged foods that make you want to keel over and die rather than eating them is a better diet plan for you.

I really don't think this budget is enough food for me. My thoughts exactly. I hate to be blunt, but I will repeat it again. I wanted to lose weight. Therefore, calories out > calories in. If I ever wanted to eat more (or just ate more because, well, I wasn't keeping control of myself) (hey, I'm human... don't act like you haven't done it yourself!), I had to work for it. Morning or night, I was either on the treadmill running the extra mile or surfing a little while longer just to burn the extra calories needed to eat that birthday cake or late-night chocolate craving.

I count all my calories and what I exercise, but no matter what, I'm at a plateau. Listen, I'm not going to sugar coat anything. There's no other answer: You're burning just as many calories as you're eating. Whatever you're doing, if you're trying to lose weight, you're miscalculating what you're eating and how much you're exercising. The ONLY answer to being at a plateau when trying to lose is that you're calculating wrong. Suck it up princess. Truth hurts.

I hate dieting, I can't eat what I want. Sure you can. You just have to eat less throughout the day and be cool with that. If you want to eat more each day, you better be willing to work extra for it. And by work, I mean work out. Seriously. Knees to chest.

A new diet?? I must try it. What do you enjoy eating? Do you really think that you can go the rest of your life without eating it again? Why on earth would you want to torture yourself in eliminating sugar, carbs or fat from your diet? I feel awful for those who have to do it for health reasons, I have family members that can't eat gluten. But what is baffling to me is the people who choose not to eat these foods because, "they're not good for you." Well Einstein, if you really wanted to analyze it, I could probably find out something about each food that isn't good for you. Unless you have a disease, these foods are NOT killing you. Stop driving everyone around you crazy with your theories on food. Because really, when you talk about it, all anyone wants to do it smack you upside the head as they eat their bread basket. You want to be super granola healthy? Balance, don't eliminate.

This commercial really hit home. Willpower, it's all about willpower and keeping your eyes on the prize.


If you're struggling to lose weight, and have been for sometime. I know EXACTLY what you're going through. The frustrations, the disappointing pictures and clothing sizes, it really takes a toll emotionally. I've had a weight goal for YEARS that I never achieved. I came close, and always put it off for later, but it wasn't until I dedicated myself to succeed, and gave myself no other option, that I achieved it. And trust me, once you get going, you see the pounds fall off and the clothes get looser, it becomes easier and OH SO WORTH IT.



*This post is probably no new information to the average dieter. I'm writing this to record the success for myself and share with those who know me and my struggle for weight loss over the years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment